The 30 Top Large Dog Crates: The Best-Rated Plastic, Wire Metal And Wood Crates For Your Large or Extra Dog
Even large dogs need a space they can call their own. They need to curl up, lie down, and relax just like every other dog. On top of that, dogs–any dog of any size–have this natural tendency to sleep inside a den.
And that is what large dog crates are for. Of course, not all dog crates are built the same. There are several factors that you need to consider. These factors will be your cue when figuring out which crates will be best suited for your beloved canine.
We all agree that the crate should be at least 30 inches long – that is if you want it to fit a large dog. In the reviews below, we will consider other important features such as crate material and construction quality among others.
- Best Large Dog Crates in the Market Today
- 1. Petnation Port-A-Crate E2 Indoor/Outdoor Pet Home
- 2. ProSelect Empire Dog Cage
- Pro Select
- 3. Petmate Sky Kennel
- 4. 42” Pet Wire Cage with ABS Pan
- 5. Wooden Pet Crate Table Espresso Enclosure Cage
- Cedar Grove
- 6. SmithBuilt Heavy Duty Dog Cage, 36-Inch, Hammered Silver
- SmithBuilt Crates
- 7. Midwest Solution Series "Ginormus" Double Door Dog Crate
- MidWest Homes for Pets
- 8. New World Folding Metal Dog Crate; Single Door Dog Crates
- New World Crates
- 9. New World Folding Metal Dog Crate; Double Door Dog Crates
- New World Crates
- 10. MidWest Life Stages Heavy-Duty Folding Metal Dog Crates – Single Door
- MidWest Homes for Pets
- 11. MidWest Life Stages Heavy-Duty Folding Metal Dog Crates – Double Door
- 12. ProSelect Easy Dog Crates for Dogs and Pets – Black
- Proselect (PRPQC)
- 13. Paws & Pals Dog Crate Double-Door Folding Metal - Wire Cage w/ Divider for Training Pets
- 14. AmazonBasics Folding Metal Dog Crate – Single Door Design
- 15. AmazonBasics Folding Metal Dog Crate – Double Door Design
- 16. MidWest iCrate Single Door & Double Door Folding Metal Dog Crates
- MidWest Homes for Pets
- 17. Allmax 3-Door Folding Metal Dog Crate with Steel Tray, Large, Black
- 18. Richell Wooden End-Table Crate
- 19. NOZTONOZ Sof-Krate Indoor/Outdoor Pet Home
- 20. MidWest Starter Series Single-Door Drop-Pin Metal Dog Crate
- MidWest Starter Series Single
- 21. Petmate Ultra Vari Kennel
- 22. Aspenpet Pet Porter Kennel
- Aspenpet Pet Porter
- 23. Pet 45" Playpen Foldable Portable Dog/Cat/Puppy Exercise Kennel
- 24. Merry Products Cage with Crate Cover Set
- 25. MidWest Homes for Pets Ovation Dog Crate
- Ovation Dog Crate
- 26. Dog Soft Crate Kennel for Pet Indoor Home & Outdoor Use
- Arf Pets
- 27. Ruff Maxx Portable Dog Kennel
- Ruff Maxx
- 28. Crown Pet Products Wood Pet Crate End Table
- Crown Pet Products
- 29. Pet Residence in Dark Brown
- 30. ecoFlex Pet Crate/End Table
- New Age Pet
Best Large Dog Crates in the Market Today
In this section of this review we’ll give you our top 30 picks for the best dog crates for large dogs. Included here on this list are some of the most popular brands and highly rated products. Note that they are not arranged in any particular order whatsoever.
1. Petnation Port-A-Crate E2 Indoor/Outdoor Pet Home
The Port-A-Crate E2 Indoor/Outdoor Pet Home may be a pretty good option if you want to take your dog along with you for a long road trip. Your dog may end up preferring this portable crate than his regular crate. Its collapsible design makes it easier to set up and pack up. It also does a good job at keeping doggie hair and dirt away from the car seat (and pretty much anywhere in the car).
2. ProSelect Empire Dog Cage
This dog crate for big dogs is dubbed by its manufacturers as the Alcatraz of doggie cages. Well, it’s actually pretty massive – and that is a good thing believe it or not. If you have a powerful and/or an aggressive dog then this crate might be a good option to consider. This crate also features removable casters so you can wheel the crate as you go.
3. Petmate Sky Kennel
Some may complain about the fact that this kennel is made of plastic. Of course that is a valid point but if you inspect the construction quality then this kennel is up to par with the best. The only downside about this kennel is that its bolts are made of plastic – most airlines require metal so you will have to replace them before you fly.
4. 42” Pet Wire Cage with ABS Pan
This is large dog crate is designed to be lighter and would be better suited for transporting your dog. Some would say it looks flimsy but it really is well constructed. Note that it’s not industrial strength like the ones you can find in animal shelters though.
If you’re looking for a wire cage for your big dog that can hold him in while allowing a lot of breathing room then this might be a good option. It weighs only 26 pounds, which makes it surprisingly easier to lift onto a vehicle.
5. Wooden Pet Crate Table Espresso Enclosure Cage
Some people complain that their dog crates look like mobile prisons for their pets. Well, this one doesn’t. If you are looking for that old rustic feel then this wooden doggie crate just might be the one you’re looking for.
It is made of wood and its construction quality is top notch. You can tell by the craftsmanship on display and the level of carpentry skill that was involved in its creation. The only downside is that it won’t hold a dog that chews a lot – well, it’s made of wood so don’t expect it to be as tough as steel.
6. SmithBuilt Heavy Duty Dog Cage, 36-Inch, Hammered Silver
If you’re looking for a good dog cage that can stand up to a lot of chewing then this SmithBuilt could be just the one you need. It’s built like a tough and durable cage but provides enough comfort for a large dog.
If your dog is an able escape artist then let him try to Houdini his way out of this one. Assembling the pieces shouldn’t be a problem
7. Midwest Solution Series "Ginormus" Double Door Dog Crate
MidWest Homes for Pets
What’s wrong with some large dog crates? The doors. Yes, some designs are durable yet they forget that you’re trying to get a big dog into the crate or kennel, which means you have to make the entryway a lot bigger.
Solution provided – a double door doggie crate. This doggie crate is designed for those really ginormous dogs. It even features side and front door access.
8. New World Folding Metal Dog Crate; Single Door Dog Crates
New World Crates
If you have an XL size dog (probably one of those 90 to 100 pound breeds) then the New World Folding Metal Dog Crate could be a really good option. It provides enough room for your pet and helps him acclimate with his den instincts. This dog crate comes in single and double door configurations – this one is the single door version. It folds up flat too which makes it a good option for travel too.
9. New World Folding Metal Dog Crate; Double Door Dog Crates
New World Crates
This is the double door version of the New World Folding Metal Dog Crate. And just like the single door version, this one also provides enough room for a really large dog to snuggle. The pan that is included with the crate is pretty good quality.
It’s super easy to fold in case you want to put it away when not in use. Note that it is quite heavy though.
10. MidWest Life Stages Heavy-Duty Folding Metal Dog Crates – Single Door
MidWest Homes for Pets
This is a heavy duty cage that can hold up to a lot of punishment. The door is wide enough, which makes it easier for your dog to get in and out. On top of that, the divider is also pretty useful if you want to provide some constraints if you are raising puppies too.
11. MidWest Life Stages Heavy-Duty Folding Metal Dog Crates – Double Door
This is the double door version of the previous extra-large doggie crate reviewed earlier. If you have a 75 pound German shepherd or even a 90 pound Labrador then this crate can hold him. The pan stop at the bottom makes it easy to remove the plastic pan.
12. ProSelect Easy Dog Crates for Dogs and Pets – Black
This is a good size crate for a lot of dogs. The divider also allows you to accommodate smaller dogs (and also cats!). It’s also suitable if you are going to use this for crate training puppies.
This dog crate is also very easy to assemble and disassemble. And it is sold at a very good price point.
13. Paws & Pals Dog Crate Double-Door Folding Metal - Wire Cage w/ Divider for Training Pets
This is the 48” double door model of the OxGord Metal Pet Crate. This crate is also available in 20 inch to 36 inch configurations. It features commercial quality construction.
It has a pretty high tensile strength. You can contain really aggressive powerful dogs in it and you won’t have to worry if the wires will get bent. If your dog loves to dig and chew then this may be a good crate to consider. The living space can also be adjusted to accommodate crate training for pups.
14. AmazonBasics Folding Metal Dog Crate – Single Door Design
This dog crate comes out highly recommended and it rarely disappoints. The construction is pretty solid and it is fully collapsible. It even comes with a clip on handle which makes it easier to carry around.
It also features two door latches to keep the door closed tight. No rough edges are exposed, which shows how well it is manufactured. The cage is also reasonably priced.
15. AmazonBasics Folding Metal Dog Crate – Double Door Design
This is the double door version of the AmazonBasics dog crate. Note that this dog crate is fully collapsible. That makes it easy to store or bring with you on a road trip.
It is very durable given its price point. It can fit a 36” size dog but your pet may have to scoot a little bit if he’s any bigger. This one is designed for medium/large size dogs.
16. MidWest iCrate Single Door & Double Door Folding Metal Dog Crates
MidWest Homes for Pets
If you’re looking for large dog crates that are half the price of big box retailers then the MidWest iCrate Folding Metal Crate can be a pretty good contender. The installation is very easy but note that it is pretty heavy and you might want to get some help during assembly.
17. Allmax 3-Door Folding Metal Dog Crate with Steel Tray, Large, Black
The Allmax 3-Door Folding Metal Dog Crate is best suited to house your large dog while on the road. It has really large profile, which is great for really huge dogs. The foldable design makes storage and transport a cinch.
18. Richell Wooden End-Table Crate
Here is another option for people who are looking for an indoor crate that’s totally made of wood. It isn’t that hard to imagine it as a wooden crib for your dog. It has a nice finish which kind of makes it look more like a piece of furniture than an actual dog crate – but it is a dog crate.
19. NOZTONOZ Sof-Krate Indoor/Outdoor Pet Home
Do you need a dog show crate? It turns out that this is quite a popular option with pet owners who take their pets on shows and contests. Apart from the easy setup, it also has a posh exterior.
Soft sided provides good ventilation for your pet. It’s also durable enough to handle digging and nesting dogs.
20. MidWest Starter Series Single-Door Drop-Pin Metal Dog Crate
MidWest Starter Series Single
The MidWest Starter Series dog crate takes on a 54 inch size design, which is great for large dogs. Steel construction is top notch; good enough even for strong dogs. Note that this is a really tall frame – it can fit a great dane while sitting down with enough inches to spare.
21. Petmate Ultra Vari Kennel
Have you had enough of having a really huge crate taking up so much space in the apartment? If that is you then the Petmate Ultra Vari Kennel presents you with a promising option. This compact crate can fit 70 to 90 pound dogs. It also works great for trips and weekend getaways bringing your dog along for the ride.
22. Aspenpet Pet Porter Kennel
Aspenpet Pet Porter
If you’re looking for large dog crates that will have almost no problems with airline inspections, then this one may be a good option. However, just like every portable crate, the Aspenpet Pet Porter Kennel will still need some modification depending on the dog you’re transporting (e.g. ventilation at the back, which means you will have to drill some breathing holes)
23. Pet 45" Playpen Foldable Portable Dog/Cat/Puppy Exercise Kennel
Given the price point, this foldable portable dog kennel may be a good option as an exercise or training kennel. You can put toys in it to keep the dog happy. You can even feed your pet in this crate since it is easy to clean.
24. Merry Products Cage with Crate Cover Set
You don’t find as many large dog crates that can match the interior décor of your house. Well, this one does a pretty good job at that. The actual wood and faux wood parts cover the wire cage within quite nicely. The only downside is that this crate may not withstand the punishment from a really large and active dog.
25. MidWest Homes for Pets Ovation Dog Crate
Ovation Dog Crate
Is your dog like a Harry Houdini incarnate? Yes, some dogs are that smart and they can figure out a way to escape. That is why the door of this durable crate has been uniquely designed.
The door on this cage has an angled metal piece on the inside. That part engages the cross wires, which prevents any lifting action. Thus you have to disengage the hooks on the handle and then swing that metal piece out of the way to open the gate – a bit too complex for a canine.
26. Dog Soft Crate Kennel for Pet Indoor Home & Outdoor Use
You can imagine going on a long road trip in a hard and cold wire cage. It isn’t fun, right? And that is why this Dog Soft Crate Kennel may be a great alternative for your beloved pet. It even comes with useful following features.
27. Ruff Maxx Portable Dog Kennel
Transporting a ginormous dog will require a really large and durable kennel. This Ruff Maxx provides you with just that. However, check with your airline and their requirements – you usually need to make some minor modifications no matter what brand or model of crate you use.
28. Crown Pet Products Wood Pet Crate End Table
Crown Pet Products
This is yet another fine piece of furniture – well, dog crate (well, both!). It definitely takes away the cage like appearance of any dog crate and it nice and sturdy too.
29. Pet Residence in Dark Brown
If you’re looking for an alternative to metal crates but not exactly fabric, why not get one that is made of Rhino wicker? It is breathable and prevents smells and odors from building up.
30. ecoFlex Pet Crate/End Table
New Age Pet
If you have a big dog that behaves well, then this crate slash lavish espresso finish table may be quite a good option. The wood is quite durable and the finish is absolutely adorable.