Top 5 Most Poisonous Food Your Dogs Must Avoid
Dogs are always fond of eating things they aren’t supposed to be eating, especially puppies. Their heightened sense of smell coupled with their curious and playful nature leads them to try out anything strange or new to them. This leads them to some that are potentially poisonous that may be fatal too. This is not among puppies alone but all ages of dogs. Some of the poisonous foods your dog may stumble upon are listed below.
GRAPES AND RAISINS
Grapes and raisins are always being recommended as healthy treats to us by doctors but never to dogs. Even the tiniest amounts of grapes or raisins have toxic levels that could prove fatal for a dog. Recently veterinarians made a discovery in which it was found that grapes, raisins and all of the Vitis species can be responsible for kidney failure in dogs. Whether this really is a new problem or if the nature of toxicity of the berries was recognized after the development of the computerized animal toxicity database about three decades ago is not quite clear.
Whatever the scenario, what still stands is that the number of cases of illness or death in dogs after consumption of the said fruits is on a rise mainly due to the lack of knowledge by dog owners of the fatal nature of grapes to dogs.
Poisoning has been reported in dogs following ingestion of both the seeded and seedless varieties, commercial or homegrown berries green and red raisins and grapes and both organic and non-organic fruits and pressings acquired from wineries. Also, food containing the said food can be potentially poisonous to dogs.
To know if your dog has ingested then you’ll notice those exhibiting symptoms such as:
- Loss of appetite
- Decreased frequency of urination
CHOCOLATE AND CAFFEINE POISONING
Chocolate and cocoa powder is extracted from roasted seeds of cocoa tree (Theobroma Cacao). This tree contains certain properties that can be toxic to animals which are both caffeine and theobromine.
These two, when ingested by dogs, can lead to various medical complications and may even be fatal depending on the quantity of chocolate ingested. Dogs that take a little amount of chocolate may show no symptoms.
Caffeine poisoning will result from ingestion of caffeinated products by dogs which cause stimulation to the nervous system. Their symptoms and those of chocolate are similar only that chocolate poisoning is more severe to caffeine.
Mild intoxication and chocolate will result in a sign of agitation and excitement such as:
- Slightly higher doses may cause them to tremble or show exaggerated responses to noises and other stimuli.
- Painting pacing, nervousness, and excitability
Dogs with ingested higher quantities of chocolate will show a lot of severe symptoms:
- The involuntary leakage of urine may happen. Dogs with extreme chocolate poisoning may suffer from seizures. The later stages of chocolate poisoning will result in coma and death.
There are many different plants found in your backyard that could make your dog sick. Some of these are highly toxic while some may result in mild stomach upsets for your dog. Mushrooms fall in this category and as they are poisonous to us they also pose a threat especially to dogs for they are not aware of their toxic nature.
However, you shouldn’t worry yourself over for the types of mushroom safe for humans to eat are also safe for dogs.
Whereas lots of mushrooms don’t pose a threat to dogs those that do present a risk range from the minor and short term to fatal risks that may result in coma or even death.
Mushroom toxicity ranked alphabetically in order of severity:
- Have serious and almost fatal damage to the nervous system.
- Result in general tummy upsets.
- Extremely toxic and result in fatal kidney and liver damage.
- Also affects the nervous system but to a lesser non-fatal extent.
Symptoms of mushroom poisoning are varied with a wide range, and the severity of the symptoms will depend on the type of mushrooms ingested and how much was ingested.
The symptoms include:
- Sickness and nausea
- Weakness and lethargy
- Jaundice or yellowing of the eyes and skin in serious cases
- Excessive salivation and drooling
- Uncoordinated motor skills or trouble walking
- Abdominal pain and discomfort
The juicy and fatty Avocados (entire plant: leaves, fruit, seeds and bark) – contain a compound called Persin that can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs, It can also result in difficulty in breathing, fluid accumulation in the chest cavity, abdomen and heart, or pancreatitis.
It is still unclear if the actual flesh and oils of the avocado fruit are toxic to dogs due to the lack of scientific conclusions at this time. It should also be noted that avocado flesh and oils are used in some dog products and foods.
Symptoms of avocado poisoning are:
- Problems breathing (loss of breath, wheezing)
- Nasal congestion
- Fluid accumulation in the dog heart and chest area
In worst cases, it results in pancreatitis, oxygen deprivation leading to death.
The tomato plant is a member of Solanaceae or nightshade family. This family has lots of species with the most being potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, ground cherries and tomatillos. This family plant is considered toxic and the immature fruit that has not yet ripened contain the highest concentrations of the toxins and should be completely avoided for consumption by both humans and dogs avoided.
The level of poisoning depends on the amount the dog ingests and it will affect how fast it affected. Symptoms include:
- Loss of appetite
- Gastrointestinal upset
- Vomiting and Diarrhea
- Hyper salivation
- Behavioral change
- CNS depression
- Dilated pupil
- Abnormal heart rate
It’s always great that you feed your dog with healthy food. However, in case your dog eats any of poisonous foods mentioned above, then immediate action should be taken to reduce the amount of damage that may be done. You should immediately:
- Induce vomiting. They would normally vomit in this instance but if not then you should make them vomit.
- If available make them ingest activated charcoals this will reduce the toxicity of the fruit by slowing down its absorption to the kidneys.
- Take them to a vet for further medication.